This has been a muggy Indiana summer week– in the middle of May, no less! But the weather is appreciated, as it facilitated a great Mother’s Day with family, a small group grilled pizza baking session, and a few evenings on the front porch.
- I’ve already got an occasion in mind to make several pans of these Strawberry Pie Bars. You can make them several days in advance, too. Perfect.
- I, too, have a deep love and affection for my female friends. As the perpetual single gal, I’ve looked to my girl friends all my life for the companionship I need. Things have changed and lives have grown, and I am so so thankful for my friends. Amen.
- This list of children’s books promoting acceptance and inclusivity makes me happy. I can’t wait to pick up a few of these to read with my niece when she’s old enough.
- Okay, okay. I’ve got babies on the brain. I know it’s not Mother’s Day anymore, but I’ve had a recent influx of children in my life and I love it. I’ve always wanted to be a mom and it hasn’t happened for me (yet). The idea of being a single mom is scary, but it’s definitely something I would consider doing.
- And last but NOT least– a Royal Wedding Viewing party. Will you be up? I will be curled up on my couch with my kitties and a mug of tea. We fancy.
Also, if you’re in Indianapolis, I’m opening up more availability for massage appointments. Come see me and get a relaxing massage!
I don’t know about you, but I had a better kind of week this week. It’s getting warm (and humid, but let’s not talk about what that’s doing to our hair). Childish Gambino dropped an incredible new song and video. We had an election. And this weekend is Mother’s Day. All told, pretty good. Pretty good.
- I’m with this article’s author. I’ve been walking my way towards this for the past few years, I think. For a long time, I lived a live of guilt and anxiety, and I wonder how much it had to do with all the shoulds and shouldn’ts and ascribing morality to choices that are inherently amoral. It’s freeing to stop beating myself up for choices or trying to pick the exactly right choice that won’t destroy my life.
- Here’s what science says about being happy. 10 simple steps, here we go!
- How often do you entertain? I am bad about it because I stress about cat hair. And because I don’t want to wear anything but sweatpants. But having people over is like going out, except you’re on your own couch. Win-win.
- To be honest, I am here for this new Instagram trend. And found a couple of great accounts to follow. Who doesn’t need some great still-lifes in their feed? Freshen it up.
- Do yourself a favor and listen to this mini-series on Utopia. I’m on part 2, and… I don’t know. I’ve always been intrigued by intentional community because something about it just resonates in me.
Happy weekend, and Happy Mother’s Day, and Happy Spring!!
Oh, it’s Friday! A rainy, stormy one here. This week has been interesting. I’ve gotten to help out at a sunny high school track meet and hold my newborn baby niece! I also have been nursing a rather icky cold (caught at the hospital, no less) and a sick-ish kitty. Warm weather brings all kinds of changes, and I’m so ready for it.
- A new line of stationary. Like we don’t have enough paper products. Oh, you don’t? Me neither. Never enough.
- Tomorrow is Derby Day. You know what that means– mint juleps, fancy hats, and a chance to pretend we’re all Kentuckians. I spent 4 years near Lexington and Kentucky feels like my second home state. Plus, bourbon is my go-to liquor if I need something stronger than wine. Cheers!
- Whoa. And you you thought YOUR parents were bad… It’s just something to keep in mind as things keep getting released about the recently-arrested Golden State Killer (/EARONS). That guy has a family. Oh, and bonus article– Don’t blame Bonnie for HIS crimes. Geez.
- In the quest for always learning, how about a class on happiness? I wonder if you get graded…
- Hallelujah, ice cream!
Happy ice cream weather, Derby Day, and if you have an extra mint julep, send it my way…
All this rain and I’ve honestly been a bit of a grumpasaurus. You too? But I finally DID get a haircut and I’m eagerly anticipating a little one via my sister. So, things are looking good ahead.
- What’s your passion? Where do you spend your energy? This has been a big question I’ve been ruminating on for a while, realizing I’m tired of spending my energy on other people’s goals. This is a solid read.
- Do you journal? Bullet journal? Some other form of connecting with yourself? I’ve always been a bit hit-or-miss on journaling, but I started Bullet Journaling and I’ve taken off like a house on fire. I LOVE it. And I think it’s helped me feel more connected to myself and my mind than I have been for a long time. There will be posts later on Bullet Journals, don’t you worry.
- OMG. I love several of these books already, and didn’t even know they were making Where’d You Go, Bernadette? into a movie! So excited! Time to get to reading some of these others, too. I always love adding to my To Be Read list!
- Need some moody, floral inspo? Check out this Insta that I LOVE.
- I got solidly excited about this project when I found out about it just a few days ago. I’m not in the realm of being good enough to submit. But maybe with practice, I’ll get up the courage!
Happy weekend, friends! And wish my sister a safe and healthy delivery (whenever beeb decides to show his/her little face!)
Happy Friday! What has your week held, friends? Mine has had snow, it’s had sun, it’s had naps, tears, and friends over for dinner! High highs and low lows, that’s where I’ve been.
Here’s my way of saying… We’ve almost made it. Let’s hold on until 5 o’clock…or so.
- I think no one had to teach us to compare ourselves. We do it to fit it. We do it to survive. We do it to torture ourselves a little. Let’s stop, huh?
- Do you have kids? Does the idea of a chubby baby make you want to run away in terror? I’m becoming a first-time aunt any time now, and I’m so excited. Personally, I love a baby and would love to become a mother, but I’m single and near-30, and the idea of going it alone doesn’t sound too appealing to me. I’m just adding my word-vomit to this reflection. What say you? Yay or nay to reproduction?
- I just picked up on this podcast, though it’s been running for 3 years. And this month, their book came out! Mine came Wednesday and I’m wading in. I love all the practicality and encouragement and I’m SO thankful to be in a time where there are so many resources from those who have gone before us. Makes starting out a little less unknown, a little less scary.
- I mean, I know my problems are not everyone’s problems. But my already blonde and thin eyebrows are perpetually thinning (is this a fun part of growing up no one ever told me? Why do I keep getting stray, wiry whiskers on my chin? I digress…) Anyways, if you’re with me and don’t wanna pay so much money for expensive potions to make your brows grow, here’s a DIY (spoiler: IT’S JUST CASTOR OIL. WHERE HAS THIS BEEN ALL MY LIFE?!)
- My problem with “effortless cool” is it ends up being “unattainably too hard” for me. Maybe I’m not cool in the way I’m supposed to be. I love French-inspired spaces, though. What I wouldn’t give… (ps. Wouldn’t give my cats away. Dealbreaker right there.)
Hope these help get you through. Happy weekend, all!
Well, I kicked off this week on Monday with a $106 error. Luckily it was quickly remedied and returned to my credit card.
But beyond the mistakes, it’s been a week full of girl’s night, a re-connection with an old friend, and therapy (or- therapy, therapy, and therapy). Not to mention kitties that still cuddle since it can’t seem to stop snowing here in Central Indiana (helloooo, Spring? Where are you?!) All in all, a good week for the heart. Hope you’ve felt it, too.
- Why You’ll Never Have Your Sh*t Together Alternately titled, “HEY ABBI, THIS ONE WAS WRITTEN FOR YOU” To be honest, this is something maybe I’ve learned in tandem with Kelly Etz, the writer of the article, because I’ve done something– I’ve kicked off this blog. In a big way.
- Hello, I’m Abbi (Celexa, 40mg) and I LOVE MY MEDS. They make me feel like a functional human person most days. And sometimes my legs twitch when I’m trying to fall asleep, and I’ve gained 10-15 pounds, and my stomach sometimes does that weird thing where it doesn’t want any food. But you guys– I’m living my life.
- For years, I’ve eschewed ginger ale and I’ve hated on Ale-8 (despite living in Kentucky for 3 years), but in my quest to calm my angry stomach (see the bullet point prior), I reached for this. And IT’S SO GOOD. This is definitely my new go-to kombucha. Side note– I want to learn how to make kombucha. Think I could dupe the recipe?
- This was just a cool article about people turning some things around. Plus I love books. And libraries. So…
- I love routines. And while I crave the idea of working for myself (another post, another day…), I really struggle with the idea of no routine. This one hit me. And may be a go-to resource for me in the years to come.
Hope these will get you through until 5– Happy weekend, all!
Happy Friday! What a week– a peak of spring, a LOT of chocolate, and the kickoff of a religious season. I don’t know about you, but I need a good stretch, a walk outside, a glass or two of wine, and a face mask…
For this first Friday on the blog, I’d like to introduce my first feature– Friday Five. Five things from around the web to get you through to that 5 o’clock bell.
Enjoy, follow links down the rabbit hole– and then on to the weekend!
- This is an old recipe from Joy, but a new try for me! It turned out wonderfully and to much acclaim (I topped it with fresh strawberries for the extra Valentine’s kick it wanted)
- Happy Tax Season! What kind of person are you– have you already filed your taxes or are you waiting until April 14?
To highlight my Type-A personality: I’ve already received my federal refund! Hooray!
- A visual delight— I love having this account pop up in my feed. It hits all the right aesthetic and symmetry-loving feels.
- Burlesque Bingo, you say? Sounds GREAT, Indianapolis!
- Did someone send you flowers this week? If not, did you buy flowers for yourself this week? Girl, treat yo’self. And keep those blooms looking great a little longer.
So what’s your weekend plan? I’m planning naps, perhaps a manicure, and a healthy dose of The West Wing. #whatsnext, amiright?!