Wow. What a heavy week. Just me? I don’t think so. It’s been… rough. I wanted to skip around and have sunshine and rainbows here for you. But I think my first few links have got to be the tough ones. We gotta face some things head on, you know?
- Our Mental Healthcare system is broken. We’ve all known it for a long time. Man, I hope someday we stop talking and start doing.
- Oh good. We’re relying on the UN to tell us we’re flaunting human rights. This is good. This is fine. (spoiler: this is not fine)
- Okay. That’s all I can handle heavy-wise this week. I need to dive deep into something frothy and light– Here’s one about SaTC’s 20th anniversary. They’ve reimagined the 4’s apartments for 2018. They’re pretty spot-on. Missing any personal touches, but of course, these are just stylings. Also, I’m so over the minimalist trend. But I guess I’m just a maximalist at heart.
- So as a massage therapist (shameless plug!), I experience a lot of joint pain or at least discomfort. I’ve been off of my collagen regimen for a bit, but I’m definitely thinking about going back to it. Here’s a ponderence on collagen. Here’s the (very non-vegan) supplement I’ve used in the past and plan on buying again.
- Instagram book clubs?! Why didn’t I think of that?! I’m going to be following some new Insta accounts and maybe trying to read along!
Take it easy this weekend, all! We all need a little love and care and tenderness. Maybe spread it around a bit if you can.
What a hot, sticky week! It started with my 30th birthday (yay!) and ended with us in JUNE! Crazy how fast things are flying by. Stick around, summer. But maybe a couple of degrees cooler? So I can leave the house a time or two?
- Tomorrow, you should sleep in. It’s good for your health.
- Take a break– even a quick one. See the theme I’m going with? We’re getting older, it’s time to learn the art of chilling. I’m getting older– but I can lay around like a boss! (do we still say “like a boss”? is this what it is to get old?)
- Got your money on your mind like I do? I’m changing careers and saving up for some awesome trips– it’s all going to be do-able, but it’s been on my mind a lot. What I am a newbie on, though, is investments. I haven’t done any investments since my mom put money in CDs at the bank for me– it served me well, back when they were actually getting good interest. Some resources for getting started wouldn’t hurt.
- Do people change? I definitely think they can, but the reason can never be another person (if you want it to stick). You gotta do it for you. That’s my opinion, anyways.
- I’m glad to know I’m not the only one with a floral obsession. Seriously, stick a flower on it and I will wear it or stick it in my house. And, despite what this article says– there is never too much floral. So there.
Happy weekend, all! Also, if anyone is free to mow my yard– I have a beer with your name on it!
This week has been lazy and hazy. I’ve welcomed the slow pace, though I may have had more things to do than actually got done. Like mowing my yard, for instance…
- May is Foster Care Awareness Month. I know we’re at the end of the month, but it’s never to late to put a bug in someone’s ear. Anyways, this is a topic that is near and dear to my heart (Spoiler Alert: stay tuned in the next year for some brand new adventures…)
- I want these earrings. I just do. Because they’re pretty, and massage, and hands and stuff. I don’t know. They’re beautiful and I love them. Also follow her on instagram.
- I’m turning 30 on Monday, and Katie puts into words everything that I’m feeling— especially since I’m also leaving my stable, office job.
- I’m currently reading Young Jane Young by Gabrielle Zevin. It’s been sitting in my to-read pile since November– I know this because that’s the date on the receipt printed out by my library. Why they’ve let me renew it so many times, I don’t know. And why I’ve waited until now to pick it up, I also don’t know. I’m probably a third of the way through and I LOVE IT. Definitely the right temperature for this political climate…
- So here’s another lifestyle– the formula would be hygge-Swedish+Austrian+quality time= gemütlichkeit. I can’t actually say that word, but it’s a lovely concept and, of course, is exactly right. There’s cozy by yourself (great) and then there’s cozy with friends (even better!). I plan on having some of this on this long weekend.
Well, that’s all from me! This weekend is the last in my 20s– where has time gone?! I don’t know, but I’m starting to feel ready for my 30s. Maybe ready for more certainty, maybe ready for more adventures. It’s gonna be good.
This has been a muggy Indiana summer week– in the middle of May, no less! But the weather is appreciated, as it facilitated a great Mother’s Day with family, a small group grilled pizza baking session, and a few evenings on the front porch.
- I’ve already got an occasion in mind to make several pans of these Strawberry Pie Bars. You can make them several days in advance, too. Perfect.
- I, too, have a deep love and affection for my female friends. As the perpetual single gal, I’ve looked to my girl friends all my life for the companionship I need. Things have changed and lives have grown, and I am so so thankful for my friends. Amen.
- This list of children’s books promoting acceptance and inclusivity makes me happy. I can’t wait to pick up a few of these to read with my niece when she’s old enough.
- Okay, okay. I’ve got babies on the brain. I know it’s not Mother’s Day anymore, but I’ve had a recent influx of children in my life and I love it. I’ve always wanted to be a mom and it hasn’t happened for me (yet). The idea of being a single mom is scary, but it’s definitely something I would consider doing.
- And last but NOT least– a Royal Wedding Viewing party. Will you be up? I will be curled up on my couch with my kitties and a mug of tea. We fancy.
Also, if you’re in Indianapolis, I’m opening up more availability for massage appointments. Come see me and get a relaxing massage!
I don’t know about you, but I had a better kind of week this week. It’s getting warm (and humid, but let’s not talk about what that’s doing to our hair). Childish Gambino dropped an incredible new song and video. We had an election. And this weekend is Mother’s Day. All told, pretty good. Pretty good.
- I’m with this article’s author. I’ve been walking my way towards this for the past few years, I think. For a long time, I lived a live of guilt and anxiety, and I wonder how much it had to do with all the shoulds and shouldn’ts and ascribing morality to choices that are inherently amoral. It’s freeing to stop beating myself up for choices or trying to pick the exactly right choice that won’t destroy my life.
- Here’s what science says about being happy. 10 simple steps, here we go!
- How often do you entertain? I am bad about it because I stress about cat hair. And because I don’t want to wear anything but sweatpants. But having people over is like going out, except you’re on your own couch. Win-win.
- To be honest, I am here for this new Instagram trend. And found a couple of great accounts to follow. Who doesn’t need some great still-lifes in their feed? Freshen it up.
- Do yourself a favor and listen to this mini-series on Utopia. I’m on part 2, and… I don’t know. I’ve always been intrigued by intentional community because something about it just resonates in me.
Happy weekend, and Happy Mother’s Day, and Happy Spring!!
Oh, it’s Friday! A rainy, stormy one here. This week has been interesting. I’ve gotten to help out at a sunny high school track meet and hold my newborn baby niece! I also have been nursing a rather icky cold (caught at the hospital, no less) and a sick-ish kitty. Warm weather brings all kinds of changes, and I’m so ready for it.
- A new line of stationary. Like we don’t have enough paper products. Oh, you don’t? Me neither. Never enough.
- Tomorrow is Derby Day. You know what that means– mint juleps, fancy hats, and a chance to pretend we’re all Kentuckians. I spent 4 years near Lexington and Kentucky feels like my second home state. Plus, bourbon is my go-to liquor if I need something stronger than wine. Cheers!
- Whoa. And you you thought YOUR parents were bad… It’s just something to keep in mind as things keep getting released about the recently-arrested Golden State Killer (/EARONS). That guy has a family. Oh, and bonus article– Don’t blame Bonnie for HIS crimes. Geez.
- In the quest for always learning, how about a class on happiness? I wonder if you get graded…
- Hallelujah, ice cream!
Happy ice cream weather, Derby Day, and if you have an extra mint julep, send it my way…
All this rain and I’ve honestly been a bit of a grumpasaurus. You too? But I finally DID get a haircut and I’m eagerly anticipating a little one via my sister. So, things are looking good ahead.
- What’s your passion? Where do you spend your energy? This has been a big question I’ve been ruminating on for a while, realizing I’m tired of spending my energy on other people’s goals. This is a solid read.
- Do you journal? Bullet journal? Some other form of connecting with yourself? I’ve always been a bit hit-or-miss on journaling, but I started Bullet Journaling and I’ve taken off like a house on fire. I LOVE it. And I think it’s helped me feel more connected to myself and my mind than I have been for a long time. There will be posts later on Bullet Journals, don’t you worry.
- OMG. I love several of these books already, and didn’t even know they were making Where’d You Go, Bernadette? into a movie! So excited! Time to get to reading some of these others, too. I always love adding to my To Be Read list!
- Need some moody, floral inspo? Check out this Insta that I LOVE.
- I got solidly excited about this project when I found out about it just a few days ago. I’m not in the realm of being good enough to submit. But maybe with practice, I’ll get up the courage!
Happy weekend, friends! And wish my sister a safe and healthy delivery (whenever beeb decides to show his/her little face!)